The History of Garforth Musical Society Celebrating 73 Years
Garforth Musical Society (GMS) are an Amateur Musical Society located in Garforth on the outskirts of Leeds, West Yorkshire.
In 1946 a group of local enthusiastic gentlemen led by the late Mr. Max Westerman called themselves Garforth Male Voice Choir (GMVC).
Their first performance, a ‘Grand Concert’ was held in Garforth Country Club on 6th February 1947.
The GMVC went from strength to strength.
1959 – The Concert version of ‘Merrie England’ included a local ladies chorus. This was so successful that in 1960 the ladies stayed for the Christmas Pantomime (Cinderella) performed at the Garforth Welfare Hall and GMS was formed.
1963 – GMS had the services of an orchestra made up of volunteers from around the area and attracting players from as far afield as Armley and Castleford.
Between 1963–1965 GMS performed a revue style show called ‘Rainbow Follies’ once each year to increase the funds, which enabled GMS to take their show to many deprived people around the area.
1972 – For ‘Oklahoma’, GMS moved to Garforth Comprehensive School and performed both musicals and pantomime until 1982. During the time we were at the school, the orchestra disbanded, in 1975.
1982 – Saw GMS back once more at the Garforth Welfare Hall with a space age pantomime called ‘Planet Omime’, where we still perform each year rotating a spring show with a Christmas pantomime.